Monday, July 31, 2017

Hand Dyed Linen questions for you

I will have more hand dyed Limited Editions linens soon. I do have a couple questions for you and I would love to hear from you.

I have dyed quite a few yards of 32ct in the past and they sell out quickly. I will also do some 36ct and 40ct this time too. Small batches of each color. I love limited editions and they can be substituted for called for colors or just be creative and use you own mix of fabric and colors. I will show you these colors when they are finished. And I will also have a give-away each month for linen. No plans for a linen club....yet!

Yes I know there are a lot of companies that do hand dyed linens. But I do try to price my items less expensive to save my stitching friends some money.

My question today is what size pieces do you prefer to buy?

My fat 1/8 will be 14 x 17".  $10
Fat 1/4 will be 17 x 29"         $20
Fat 1/2 will be 29 x 35"         $40-42
Unless wholesale prices change again. If I get a sale I will reduce prices on that batch.

What type of shading do you like? I like to do a nice mottled look and not real drastic. These will be more mottled than pieces I have previously dyed. Some will have two colors for effect.

I tried to prices these to give you a nice discount.

I have sold full yard pieces in the past but 1/2 yards seem to be enough for samplers and the smaller pieces were requested many times. I might add some full yard pieces each month. They will be around $70-76, depending on the count.

I am amazed at the wholesale prices when I just purchased linen last week. Prices have definitely gone up since I purchased a few years ago. Some have doubled and there were no specials or sale prices. Of course not. Everyone is dyeing linen these days so they don't have to offer sales to us. Good old supply and demand.

I just dyed some beautiful colors for a retreat and I will start dyeing more after the floss club orders go out in a few days.

Floss Club invoices go out tomorrow. If you need to change anything (some switch clubs to round out their collections) or if you need to add any singles or boxed collections please let me know as soon as you can.

I would love to hear from you regarding the size pieces you usually buy or any questions you have for me. You can post your answer here to email me. nbelgian@aol.com.

Thanks so much for your time.
                                                      Nancy

31 comments:

  1. Nancy, I have enjoyed your linen colors of the past with the soft subtle mottling. Unless I know I am stitching a larger piece, I prefer buying fat eighths (14 x 17) or fat quarters (for a series, etc.). Why? Because I dislike cutting large pieces. Just my quirk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. Several gals have told me they like the smaller pieces.

      Delete
  2. I prefer the muted shading that goes well with stitching samplers. I usually buy a fat quarter. Looking forward to seeing some of your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy, so excited about this I prefer your first two options of course just depends on what I'm stitching....look forward to seeing what you've got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Nancy; i typically buy either a fat 1/8 or a fat 1/4, anywhere from 32 to 36 count. i prefer a nice mottled look where you can see the mottling, but not so severe as to be distracting. will be looking forward to these pieces from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer fat quarters and would love 36 or 40 ct in a soft mottling but definitely wouldn't mind heavier mottling, mostly in primitive color tones!! Love the ones I have bought from you and will be looking forward to buying more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy I usually buy 36 to 40 count and I like to be a fat half. I love the lighter colors best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer 32 myself, but I order 32, 36 and 40 count also. When trying a new linen, I usually buy 1/2 yards...and if there is a realy demand, I never order less than a yard! Thanks, Nancy! You make so many people happy; you are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you would do aida.
    Thanks Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer 36 and 40ct fabrics with a soft mottled look or an antiqued look in a 1/8 or 1/4 yard size. I really enjoy the crystal fabrics except not for samplers. Can't wait to see what you come out with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nancy, So excited to hear about your fabric. I like 28 count. Hope to hear that you will be doing 28. Have a good night. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love the fat 1/4 and fat 1/2 fabrics..great price too! :) I love 32 ct linen but 36 and 40 ct are great too! I can't wait to see your dyed linens. I will definitely be on the lookout for when you post them Nancy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hand dyed fabric! I like 32 ct evenweave, not sure if you ever do jobelan or lugana? I usually buy fat quarters and I like subtle mottling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy, I like linen and use a lot of Essex linen in my crazy quilting. I do tend to like the light mottled look. I'm sure what you are using is top of the line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nancy I usually buy 36 to 40 count and I like to be a fat half. I love the lighter colors best.


    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete
  15. So far I haven't worked on linen at all - don't tempt me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to hear you're going to dye fabric. I prefer the smaller size. That said, the fat 1/4 size is very nice for Mira's etc.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Depending on what I'm doing, I usually buy the 1/8 or 1/4 cuts. Only once have I needed a 1/2 cut for a design to fit as far as I can recall.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I usually prefer the larger size of fabric and I like to use evenweave and use either 28 or 32 ct. As far as color goes, I say anything goes. There are so many patterns out there, the sky is the limit. :o)
    Hilly

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the 36 and 40 count fabrics. And I like larger cuts. I tend to like the subtle changes, but have also used some two color over-dyed fabric. So, that wasn't a lot of help to you, but you did ask.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My preference is 36 and 40 count. I usually buy fat quarter however if I really like the color and I will buy 1/2 yard. I also like a very mottled color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great questions. I would say that as far as size goes I would use a fat 1/8 for ornaments or other smalls. But a fat 1/2 would be perfect for samplers as you stated. I tend to like a very slight mottled look. No drastic shading for me. I find I'm stitching more on 32 to 40 count recently. Hope our thoughts help you. What a busy lady you are. Thanks so much for all you do

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love 36 and 40 count. I buy fat 8th's and fat quarters. Love soft mottling so the fabric compliments the stitching rather than competing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like 36 count the best, but do use 32 and 40 also. I like the lightly mottling look too. I have, in the past, bought all sizes, but most often 1/4 and 1/2 yard pieces.
    Thank you for offering us such a great price!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I prefer gentle shading. Too drastic seems to take away from the stitched piece too often. I would probably buy the smaller pieces unless I had a specific project I was buying for. I love linen!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's all wonderful. I tried 40 count but my eyes are too old for that tiny count. I stitch most of my stuff on linen clothes and napkins I find at estate sales so when I get real stitching linen I'm quite excited and it feels special.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like a 1/4 yard of 40 count if I don't have a specific project in mind. I generally use 40 count and there is a lot of projects that would fit on a cut that size.

    I don't like dramatic color changes. Like you, I love the mottled look or as Lakeside Linens call it "vintage".

    ReplyDelete
  28. OOH! I need 1/8 yd. pieces & I Love opalescent, any color....because of my neuropathy in my hands & terrible eyes I would need 28 ct. if possible, if not no problem.
    Stitchy Hugs, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fat 1/4 will be 17 x 29" is my favorite size. and I prefer a 'soft' mottling. No big splashy spots of dye.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like linen and use a lot of Essex linen in my crazy quilting. I do tend to like the light mottled look. I'm sure what you are using is top of the line.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete